These are a classic South African biscuit. Not only are they super easy to make but they are so delicious. They make a great gift for someone wrapped up in a cellophane bag with a ribbon too!
- Loose bottom oblong baking tin, square 20x20cm
- 83 g plain flour (can substitute gluten free flour)
- 125 g sugar
- 55 g desiccated coconut
- 125 g oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100 g butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp bicarb
- Heat oven to 180C
- Line a baking tin with parchment
- Mix the flour, sugar, coconut and oats in a bowl, stirring until evenly combined.
- Melt butter and syrup in a small saucepan.
- Add bicarb to the syrup mixture and mix well.
- Add the syrup mixture to the dry ingredients and stir in until fully combined.
- Pour into the baking tin and spread evenly smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 25 mins or until golden.
- Mark the squares with a sharp knife while still warm.